We have new members nights twice a year (September and January). You MUST book your place in advance to attend new members night. There is no obligation to join and no audition. Our Musical Director will have an informal 5-10 minute voice placement meeting with you to review your voice and consider the balance of voices in the choir. Please don’t worry or be nervous, this meeting will be fun, relaxed and open.
To find out more, or ask about joining us, please contact Sally and Colin, our Membership Coordinators below:
Your Commitment Expectations:
The Rainbow Chorus is a community choir with high standards and the commitment level can be a bit daunting. We’ve set out our expectations below – if the Rainbow Chorus is not for you then our monthly RC+ choir may be a better fit. See below or email the membership team for details.
The Rainbow Chorus have 2 main concert performances a year (plus additional festival, community and charity performances). To be able to perform at these concerts you MUST:
- Be able to sing in tune and sing your assigned voice part in tune.
- Come to at least 75% of all rehearsals – weekly rehearsals are on Monday nights and additional rehearsals at weekends (usually 2 or 3 per term on a Friday evening or Saturday afternoon).
- Attend pre-rehearsal sectionals (1 or 2 per term from 6.30 – 7.30 on Mondays) and where possible to attend ad-hoc sectionals organised by members of sections to support with song learning.
- We also encourage new members to attend 3 RC+ workshop choir sessions in their first term.
- Choir members must also adhere to the choir’s membership policies – the choir is a safe and welcoming space for all LGBTQ+ people and we do not tolerate discrimination towards our members.
- There will be a 3-month trial period – so that both sides can check-in as to whether you have been placed in the right voice part and if the choir best suits your needs.
RC+ choir workshops take place on a monthly basis. You do not need to attend a New Members Night - you can just turn up on the evening or email us in advance for more information or if you have any queries.
The first session is FREE. After this there is a subscription but this can be on a pay-as-you-attend basis and you are still welcome to come even if finances mean a subscription is not affordable for you. Our usual venue is St George's Church, St George's Road in Kemptown in Brighton, although we occasionally use other venues. Everyone is friendly and we are a fun group to join, so you can just relax and enjoy yourself.
Upcoming dates for RC+: most workshops are held at St George’s Church, St George’s Road, Kemptown, Brighton, BN2 1DW
Dates for 2023:
Fri 8 December 7pm (St Mary’s Church, Church Hall, St James’s Street)
Dates for 2024:
Sat 13 January 2pm (St George’s Church)
Sat 3 February 2pm (St George’s Church)
Sat 2 March 2pm (St George’s Church)
Sat 20 April 2pm (St George’s Church)
Fri 17 May 7pm (St George’s Church)
Fri 14 June 7pm (St George’s Church)
Sat 22 June 2pm (St George’s Church)